Utländsk Tjorv diskuteras 2

Här diskuteras lite av varje med Tjorvenanknytning
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Utländsk Tjorv diskuteras 2

Inlägg av HKC616 »

Här diskuteras en Amerikansk Tjorv, verkar enligt texten vara en el-tjorv. Från DAF club of Americas forum

/Fredrik

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Should be saved....BUT
« Thread Started on Nov 29, 2010, 5:43pm »

Today I ventured to far away New Ipswich, New Hampshire (well, it was not that far...only 98 miles one way ) to follow up on a lead from a friend in Massachusetts.

Lo & behold! This is what I found;

YES...it's a DAF 44 / Tjorven Kalmar KVD-440/441 being used as a sign for a junkyard.
The Kalmar is in remarkable condition thanks to the Fiberglass body and the Variomatic is still under it although it was converted to electric about 30 years ago.

...and NOT for sale.

John

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #1 on Nov 29, 2010, 8:09pm »

Of all the vehicles he could have used....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #2 on Nov 30, 2010, 5:21am »

Yea...I know it. Very sad!

What a waste! There were probably only about 15 Kalmar vans brought over here & converted to electric versions by 2 different companies around 1969/1970. This is only 1 of 2 left, that I know about...although, DAFs seem to keep popping up everywhere lately so you never know what will come out of the "woodwork" next time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #3 on Nov 30, 2010, 8:15am »

That's a real shame John.

She look remarkably solid too. I suppose all you can do is give them your number should they ever reconsider. Perhaps they may swap with something equally bizarre and non-daf?

Reply #4 on Nov 30, 2010, 7:26pm »

Everything has a price Even my Regal keys could be prised from my cold, dead hands

Tell the owner you'll swap it for a nice 3-wheeler Reliant - Fibreglass too and even more distinctive...

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #5 on Nov 30, 2010, 8:19pm »

Wonder where I could pick up a Reliant...REAL CHEAP

Reply #6 on Dec 1, 2010, 6:37am »

I could find you a couple of sensibly priced ones, pad out a container and it could offset the shipping costs for Bob's fenders?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #7 on Dec 1, 2010, 6:39pm »

Dec 1, 2010, 6:37am, macplaxton wrote:I could find you a couple of sensibly priced ones, pad out a container and it could offset the shipping costs for Bob's fenders?

PLUS (maybe) a few other prized tid-bits from the UK.

John

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #8 on Dec 1, 2010, 7:35pm »

Now that's a plan!

I still love the whole shipping container idea to ship some actual Daf's over!

Vince

Reply #9 on Dec 2, 2010, 3:54am »

Arrangements will be made shortly Vince.
Possibly a container out of Harwich, UK (with the help of Essex DAF) or Dublin, Ireland (with the help of Sir Richard).

Negotiations are under way for a late Spring or early Summer 2011 shipment of this beauty out of Stockholm, Sweden-

Only time will tell if it all comes together. Shhhhhh....

John
Reply #10 on Dec 2, 2010, 5:00pm »

That all sounds great! That would be great to send to UK or Ireland! Not entirely fancy on RHD really, but still. And congrats on the find! Should be a GREAT addition to the club!

Vince

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Reply #11 on Dec 3, 2010, 4:59am »

The only reason this Kalmar is RHD- it's a mail truck.
There are lots of LHD DAFs for sale in Europe for under $1,000.00. The only killer is the shipping costs but if that container can be split with 2 or 3 people-it's not so bad.

You would have to arrange to get the car to Harwich, UK (using the Ferry or Tunnel train) from Europe by driving it over, by truck or container.
It costs almost nothing if it can be driven over.

John

Reply #12 on Dec 4, 2010, 9:12am »

Well that's great! The only problem is if we had to ship the car over the channel to the UK. Are LHD sparse in UK? And how many DAF's can fit in a crate? 4 maybe? And how expensive is the shipment from US to Europe and back to US again? $4000 about? So 4 people 4 cars $1000+price of car about. Sounds great! I'm exited just thinking about it hahaha.

Vince

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply #13 on Dec 4, 2010, 11:24am »

Hmm, more like two in a crate if you're lucky Vince. Don't forget that boats pitch and roll. To ship a car takes a dedicated container with tie down straps for the precious cargo, you could put them in a regular container I'd you don't mind the cars swapping paint and dents with each other (and the container of course). Some of these shipping companies use a shorter container which fits one car. Don't forget also there's the customs charges and also some countries require a POA contract accompanied by an Apostle, if you cannot be there to buy in person and need someone to tie up the loose ends for you, otherwise when it arrives at your port of choice you can't prove to customs that you bought your vehicle so you don't legally own it. All good fun!

Reply #14 on Dec 4, 2010, 3:00pm »

Well yeah, of course there's always paper work and inevitable complications, but it's still a fun idea I think! I'm sure 3 DAF's would fit into a 40ft container, anything else may only fit 2-3. Daf's are about 12ft long so that leaves 4 ft clearance total, about a foot between the cars then and front and back. Hope they are secured well enough hahaha.

By the way, how often do LHD DAF's show up in the UK?

Vince

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply #15 on Dec 4, 2010, 6:57pm »

LHD DAFs in the UK? Not very often at all...I think I only know of one myself.

Depending on the size of a container and the ability to double stack maybe two of the cars strapped together (such as a car on top of another which has a flat cargo area) you might be able to get 3 in without causing severe damage.

The all important factor is being able to prove ownership once the container has landed and for that you need a good shipping agent well versed with all the loopholes.

John

Reply #16 on Dec 5, 2010, 12:10am »

Dec 4, 2010, 6:57pm, THE BEAR wrote:LHD DAFs in the UK? Not very often at all...I think I only know of one myself.

You obviously can't count Hans!

Dec 4, 2010, 6:57pm, THE BEAR wrote:Depending on the size of a container and the ability to double stack maybe two of the cars strapped together (such as a car on top of another which has a flat cargo area) you might be able to get 3 in without causing severe damage.

A DAF 66 (for example) is only 12' 7" long, so 3 will go in a standard 40' box (39' 5" internal length). Double stacking is possible, but I guess you have to use a hi-cube container. A 66 is couple of inches taller than a 33.

Either way, I think with clever packaging, you could get 6 cars in a 40" hi-cube box. (Organise a group buy!)

How to think inside the box
Reply #17 on Dec 5, 2010, 3:51am »

Dec 5, 2010, 12:10am, macplaxton wrote:
Dec 4, 2010, 6:57pm, THE BEAR wrote:LHD DAFs in the UK? Not very often at all...I think I only know of one myself.

You obviously can't count Hans!

SHHHHHH

Speaking of container packing-How's John these days?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply #18 on Dec 5, 2010, 11:43am »

Ooooo 6! Well, how does that work? Is there basically a second tier in a high cube container that the DAFs would be able to fit on, or would you have to build it and slip it in the container? Shipping would be much cheaper if more people were involved! Everyone involved would have to do some good research on what they are going to buy, and shipping details. Sounds like alot of fun! Imagine going to a port and seeing 6 cars in a container and pulling them out!

Vincent

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Reply #19 on Dec 5, 2010, 5:33pm »

Double stacking in a high cube container

This is how you get 6 cars in, like with these Trabants.

John

Reply #20 on Dec 5, 2010, 10:28pm »

I do believe we have a plan

Reply #21 on Dec 6, 2010, 3:58am »

Ooh Trabbants!

How I miss mine...

Du har inte behörighet att öppna de filer som bifogats till detta inlägg.
Namn: Fredrik Nilsson
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare:
ALA167-såld
51800 fd DCC844-skrotad
51782 fd FHL739-skrotad
FRY181-såld
Användarvisningsbild
Forssis

Re: Utländsk Tjorv diskuteras 2

Inlägg av Forssis »

Kul! det nämns något om elkonvertering för 30 år sedan, det skulle betyda runt 1980. I så fall är inte detta en av "sonett-tjorvarna". Det skulle vara intressant om någon fick nys om var det tagit vägen. Men dikussion om tjorven i USA är ju lite ovanligt, och lite kul.
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Inlägg av HKC616 »

Trots att det står 30 år så tror jag att det menas att det gjordes när bilen var ny i slutet av 60-talet/början 70-tal.

Lite längre ner står det ju:

"What a waste! There were probably only about 15 Kalmar vans brought over here & converted to electric versions by 2 different companies around 1969/1970. This is only 1 of 2 left, that I know about...although, DAFs seem to keep popping up everywhere lately so you never know what will come out of the "woodwork" next time."

Även om denna är från tiden då Sonett-Tjorvarna byggdes så ser man att detta inte är någon Sonett-Tjorv då de skilde sig från den "normala" Tjorven, och denna ser ju ut som en normal Tjorv.

/Fredrik
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare:
ALA167-såld
51800 fd DCC844-skrotad
51782 fd FHL739-skrotad
FRY181-såld
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Inlägg av HKC616 »

En kul artikel om denna Tjorv, från tidningen The Monadnock Ledger-Transcript vilken ges ut Tisdagar och Torsdagar i Monadnock regionen i USA. Tidningen finns även på nätet.

Länk: http://www.ledgertranscript.com/article ... -will-stay

7 April 2011, NEW IPSWICH

Turnpike auto: The van will stay
Swedish Tjorven is a mark of business identity, scrapyard says

NEW IPSWICH — Turnpike Auto may have found a way to get around demands by the Select Board to take down an allegedly non-compliant sign.

“We took the sign off because they gave us a cease and desist for the sign and put the car back up,” Zack Boudreaux, an employee of Turnpike Auto on Route 124, said Wednesday.

The Turnpike Auto sign is not just a sign but also a re-purposed Swedish Tjorven, a small electric vehicle designed to be a delivery van.

“It’s advertising,” said Brian Winslow, the inventory manager at Turnpike Auto, saying that the sign is vital to Turnpike’s business identity. “People in town like it. We actually had someone call in to complain that we took the sign down.”

The propped-up van also symbolizes forward thinking for Turnpike Auto. “The Tjorven is an electric car, so it represents our commitment to going green,” said Winslow.

Even so, the original cease and desist notice in May cited the sign for being too large. The sign, which the town alleges measures 17 feet, 9 inches, violates the town’s 15-foot sign ordinance limit. “We have ordinances and we have to enforce them,” Select Board Chair Bentti Hoiska told the Ledger-Transcript in May.

Now that the car is back up without the sign, the board has yet to re-address the subject. “It appears to meet the requirements. I’m feeling that he’s OK,” Select Board member George Lawrence said by telephone Tuesday. “He took the sign off and it is lower than it was. Now the question is if it fits within the scope of the required dimensions.”

The Select Board will discuss the sign at its meeting next Tuesday night and Lawrence said the board is asking Turnpike owner Martin Pelletier to pay the cost of legal fees. He said no suit is involved but sent a letter informing Pelletier of the fees.

By Emari S. Traffie
Monadnock Ledger-Transcript

/Fredrik
Senast redigerad av HKC616 den 19 nov 2011 09:01, redigerad totalt 1 gånger.
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare:
ALA167-såld
51800 fd DCC844-skrotad
51782 fd FHL739-skrotad
FRY181-såld
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Inlägg av HKC616 »

Detta var tydligen ett hett samtalsämne. Här kommer ytterligare en artikel, denna gång från Examiner.com som är en lokaltidningskedja i USA.

Länk: http://www.examiner.com/community-in-ma ... ontroversy

23 April 2011

On Tuesday April 19th 2011, the New Ipswich Town Selectman voted unanimously to demand that Turnpike Auto Parts must remove their unique sign because it exceeded the zoning size requirements by 2 feet.

The sign in question is an electric Swedish Tjorven which has been placed on cement blocks. The owners maintain that the sign is part of the business branding. The image is displayed prominently on the business website.

Turnpike Auto Parts has been an exemplary business for New Iswich since it took over the former Salvage Yard. They have been making changes to the yard to get classified as a "Green Yard" by the NH Department of Environmental Services. They see the use of an electric vehicle as emblematic of that goal.

By: John M Poltrack

/Fredrik
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare:
ALA167-såld
51800 fd DCC844-skrotad
51782 fd FHL739-skrotad
FRY181-såld
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Inlägg av HKC616 »

/Fredrik
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare:
ALA167-såld
51800 fd DCC844-skrotad
51782 fd FHL739-skrotad
FRY181-såld
Användarvisningsbild
thebear54
Kontakt:

Inlägg av thebear54 »

Yes, and the Kalmar remains to this day.
I visited with the Junkyard owner (Mr. Peletier) and he told me the Kalmar was used by the local postman for years until he retired. The Kalmar then went to the yard where it still stands despite the town voting to get rid of it.

John (Hans)
Director DAF Club of America
Director DAF Museum USA
Användarvisningsbild
HKC616

Inlägg av HKC616 »

Här är en bild på samma bil, tror jag. Före reklamstripingen.
image.jpg
/Fredrik
Ägare till:
HKC616
CKJ666
DMO190 fd GMJ210
CNR370
DRW087
OHD14W fd DAZ225
CSJ294
50687 fd ELJ330
52091 fd DCC735
Tidigare: